We're in a huge financial crisis, right? We're looking at another Great Depression, right? So what's the Senate do? They get together and create a pork-laden bailout bill.
The bailout bill contains the following "new" pork::
- Film and Television Productions (Sec. 502)
- Wooden Arrows designed for use by children (Sec. 503)
- 6 page package of earmarks for litigants in the 1989 Exxon Valdez incident, Alaska (Sec. 504)
The bailout bill extends this existing pork:
- Virgin Island and Puerto Rican Rum (Section 308)
- American Samoa (Sec. 309)
- Mine Rescue Teams (Sec. 310)
- Mine Safety Equipment (Sec. 311)
- Domestic Production Activities in Puerto Rico (Sec. 312)
- Indian Tribes (Sec. 314, 315)
- Railroads (Sec. 316)
- Auto Racing Tracks (317)
- District of Columbia (Sec. 322)
- Wool Research (Sec. 325)
As cynical as I am, I thought the e-mail going around pointing out the pork was a hoax. I reviewed the bill. The provisions are all there. You can read the bill yourself.
If these are our elected officials, we deserve another Great Depression.